Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day 19: I wish I was as calm as she

click photo for larger version


My 11 year old daughter starts the 7th grade tomorrow and I'm...well...terrified. It's not because I remember my 7th grade year, but because I can't remember. I do remember that the year before 7th grade was great and I remember 8th grade was pretty okay. But whatever happened that year at Lincoln Jr. High in Abilene, Texas just puts my stomach in knots to this day. I kinda remember the building and I remember Crystal Vanmeter, this blonde beauty that was my steady for a whole week. But other than that, the only thing that comes to mind is constantly being in a state of fear and dread.

Okay...so before you call DHS and turn me in for traumatizing my daughter before she walks in the school doors Thursday, I must tell you I am much more optimistic for the year ahead for dear Jenna. She's been at the same school since 1st grade and she has a close group of friends to help her thru the times to come. But I'm still nervous. She's still so young. Can she really handle all the new pressures that come at this time in life? Or probably...yep, this is it...I'm afraid that pretty soon here she's not going to find me as indespensible as she does today.

I hate getting old.

camera info: off-camera flash shot into reflective umbrella at subject left. Flash set to ttl mode (automatic). 24-70mm lens, 1/80th sec at f/4.0. ISO 100.

4 comments:

Kristie said...

Very, very nice. I knew the minute I saw the title it probably wouldn't be a photo of Lori, ha! :)

I don't think you have to worry too much about J. She's one of the sweetest girls I know. In fact, the kids and I were talking last night about the upcoming year and I asked each of them to name the three nicest, most genuine people in their grade .... your daughter's was on Brayden's list. :)

Great shot.

Candace said...

She will do great!

Adjective Queen said...

I see a lot of Lori in that picture!

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

FYI: http://jobs.problogger.net/view/2532

I don't know if that would even remotely interest you, but i thought of you when i saw it.

beautiful photo, and i hate getting old, too. i've been more or less MIA for the last 5 days from the Blogosphere. Just a lot going on with the start of school.