Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Friday, September 25, 2009

Day 56: A future so bright

click photo for larger version

Today's photo is a shameless plug for my real job. I work as a professor in the Professional Studies Department at Southern Nazarene University. Our business is about providing adult learners the opportunity to finish a bachelors degree by attending class at night and by providing a means to go to school while maintaining the responsibilities of work and family life.

Our students are typically with us less than 2 years. But during that time they have all their classes with the same group of people and they become really close to each other and form friendships that last beyond their days at SNU. About a month ago, I was contacted and asked to meet this evening to photograph Group 53 of our Family Studies & Gerontology program. Aimee, today's subject, is the group leader and she was a joy to work with.

As we were waiting for other students to arrive, I really enjoyed seeing the ones who had already gathered interact with each other as not just classmates but true friends. And since I had a camera in my hand, I took the opportunity to snap a few candids. Today's photo was one of these and to me it captures one of the greatest things about my job...getting to experience the contagious optimism of our students as they near the completion of a long time goal.

Camera info: 70-200mm lens at 110mm. 1/500 sec at f/3.5. ISO 100.

0 comments: