Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day 67: Hey there Delilah

click photo for larger version

When I think back to my college experience, what I remember the most is the interaction I enjoyed with a faculty that truly cared about the lives of the students they mentored. Indeed the modeling I saw by these wise and gifted men and women is what led me to become a teacher. And while not unique to just my school, I do believe that the nature of small liberal arts institutions is one of being centered around the lives of students and developing the whole person.

I'm happy to say that while the faces have certainly changed, the sense of mission is still just as strong among our faculty. And today I had the pleasure of photographing one our very best. Dr. Delilah Joiner teaches in both our traditional and adult programs and she is treasured by her students. She has this amazing gift of being able to pour out endless empathy for her students while at the same demanding the very most of which they are capable. She takes them as they are and points them to heights they never imagined they could obtain. In a school that emphasizes Christian values, she is Christ to her students.

Delilah needed a head-shot for professional uses and while I had her captive in my studio I shot this profile shot. It was done with a single light shining thru a soft box. The wall behind the subject was a green-blue color and the room was fully lit. But by shooting at a higher shutter speed, the background was rendered black. 70-200mm lens at 153mm. 1/200 sec at f/4.0. ISO 100.

2 comments:

Kristie said...

Very flattering light ... I'm sure she was pleased. :)

Adjective Queen said...

Great shot, great lady!