Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Day 69: Built to last

click photo for larger version

I love churches - not the cookie-cutter, made-from-tin variety that seem to appear like weeds in the metro areas across our country. No I love the solid, interestingly designed, built on the sacrifice of many variety. And today I present one that I discovered on that trip down Western I mentioned in yesterday's post. I've lived in Oklahoma city for 31 of the last 33 years and it was just a few weeks ago that I discovered The Cathedral of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. This morning on the way to work I returned there to take today's photo.

As I researched this mighty structure I also discovered that it is one of only 3 Catholic Cathedrals in the state of Oklahoma. Cathedral status is reserved for special churches and designated by the Pope. This cathedral was built in 1923 and designated the Cathedral of the Diocese in 1931. The parish is also the home to the Bishop John Carroll School and at one point housed a convent.

One thing I found interesting is that on all the red-painted curbs around the church, in addition to the English words "NO PARKING", there is also words that looked to me to be Latin. I wrote them down and Googled them when back at home. I discovered that the language is actually Vietnamese. And while researching the cathedral I learned that in the 70's during the flight of Vietnamese refugees, this cathedral opened its arms to the refugees and remains committed to this community today. In fact they have both English and Vietnamese language masses each Sunday.

Camera info: 24-70mm lens at 24mm. 1/160 second at f/8.0. ISO 100.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Great shot!

Anonymous said...

My Mom went there as a child. She was just speaking about it the other day. I love this pic.