Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Friday, November 6, 2009

Day 98: Funeral home calendars

click photo for larger version

The church my family went to when we lived in Pennsylvania was also attended by Burt Vondell, the city's funeral home owner. I remember that each Christmas he would hand out calendars as an advertisement for the funeral home. It was a nice gesture although in a town with only one funeral home it was entirely unnecessary. Anyway, it was inevitable that when turning to the September page on the calendar there would be a photo of a New England church steeple framed by trees boasting firey reds, oranges and yellows. Today's photo is in homage to those great calendars.

I came upon this scene when checking out a future photo op. A friend recommended going to Westminster Presyterian Church at night to take a photo of this bell tower lit up and jutting into the night sky. I will undoubtedly return for that photo, but with the beautiful fall colors we are experiencing in Oklahoma this year I couldn't pass up a daytime shot as well.

Camera info: 24-70mm lens at 70mm. 1/250 sec at f/9.0. ISO 100.

4 comments:

Kristie said...

That's beautiful. Really love the fall colors, esp. against the blue sky and white tower. :)

Territory Mom said...

Incredible!!! Hey you are almost to 100 post and I have been here since the beginning. Very cool!

Tex said...

The light inside that church is phenomenal, too. I love sitting in there and looking out the windows this time of year.

Alisa said...

I think I have seen a very similar calendar with a very similar image. When I opened up your blog I thought I had seen this photo before.
I too love the colors.