Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 11: One light, one special daughter

click photo for larger version

I've been watching a DVD lately put out by Zack Arias, an Atlanta photogapher who has made a career out of producing fantastic photos using a single source of artificial light...the one light technique. I decided last night to try out some of what I've been learning. And fortunately for me, my daughter was having fun playing dress up with a bunch of hats that were headed for the thrift store from Stephanie Steen.

Here are the settings: 135mm lens at f5.6 and 1/30 sec shutter speed, ISO 800 (totally unnecessary...I forgot to lower it before shooting). I set up an off camera flash on a light stand at 3 o'clock from the subject slightly above eye level and shot into a reflective umbrella. By setting the light source at a right angle from the subject, I was able to light the subject and leave the background mostly dark.

4 comments:

Kristie said...

That's nice .... I would have guessed natural light from a window. (clearly, I'm not a good guesser yet!) :)

Sweet of J to cooperate so nicely!

Alisa said...

oh the light!
Now why is she not keeping all the hats?

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

it's magical, jim. the technical stuff is so intimidating. it reminds me of college algebra. Thank the Lord for Bob Ferris. I might not have earned my Bachelor's.

Signed,
point-and-shoot jen

Jim Smith said...

"natural light"...Kristie you know the perfect thing to say.