Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day 13: Blue Moves

click photo for larger version


This one's for Mighty Mouse.


What do you do when you need a subject for your next photo idea? You enlist the help of your daughter's friend who happens to be playing at your house today. Meet Katie, one of the easiest to direct models I've ever photographed. By the way, if you or a friend would like to be immortalized on these pages, just drop me an e-mail and we'll make it happen.

Camera info: Set to manual. ISO 100, 1/200 sec, f4.0. off-camera flash 1/16 power behind and to the right of subject with a blue gel taped over the front (I used a cut piece of a report cover for this). off-camera flash 1/8 power to subject left shot into collapsed reflective umbrella.

5 comments:

Alisa said...

Cool Katie! Again, the light, oh I love the light.


I offer you every. one. of. my. children.

They would be very good when you are trying to explain how to take photos of moving targets.

Kristie said...

Oh, Jim, big mistake. BIG mistake. I now have visions of getting a free portrait of each of my children out of you. :)

Great picture of Katie ....

Jim Smith said...

Alisa and Kristie,
I'll be taking you up on your offer. I'd also love to have your assistance to set up the shots and hold lights...especially if we do something outdoors.

See Kristie...you'll have to earn those portraits.
Jim

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

oh, that blue light! divine. i would have had to photoshop her dress black for effect. ha! i tweeted your name tonight in regard to photography.

Alisa said...

Earn those portraits? Umm sounds more like we would be getting a sneak peek into your photography in person!