Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 30: A quick getaway


click photo for larger version

Lori and I have had a stressful start to the school year and so we decided to do a quick getaway to Florida for the weekend. Here's the sunset we enjoyed last night. Jealous?!?!?

Seriously...we love Florida...we would go there for almost any reason...and we have seen some great sunsets there...but c'mon...we require a full year's planning for any trip, as well as a full year of saving our pennies.

No folks...this is beautiful Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City. Thanks to T.R. Ryan for reminding me of how great Oklahoma sunsets are. And last night we had a great one. The clouds were painted perfectly in the sky and the climate matched the scenery. What's up with that? I didn't even break a sweat and it's August...in Oklahoma?!?!?

For my photo buddies, you'll notice the sun is still above the horizon. If you leave the camera on auto, you're going to get a lovely sky full of shades of bright white. For today's shot, I used aperture priority with the aperture set on f/8.0. I then used the exposure compensation and dialed it down a full stop. Other info: handheld 24-70mm lens at 63mm, ISO 100, 1/400 sec shutter speed.

5 comments:

Alisa said...

Oh I love Oklahoma sunsets. When I moved to Colorado that is one of the of the things I missed.
Beautiful photo, and beautiful weather indeed! (I could live with it like this all the time!)
Thanks for the contrast photo- I laughed at your description. I was falling for the line until the end. "Oh, Auto? Ooohh, right, auto."

Tex said...

You didn't trick me! I'd recognize Lake Hefner anywhere. Beautiful!

Jim Smith said...

Thank you ladies.

TR Ryan said...

I thought you were really in Florida! No one believes me when I tell them my pics are from Hefner at sunset. Great shot!

lofolulu @>~'~'~ said...

Great shot! However, I recognized Lake Hefner's amazing sunset. Tim (mutual friend) certainly knows good photography locations.