Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 33: Hidden Oklahoma Series Part 1



click photo for larger version


Last week I was back in the Plaza District to pick up my daughter from practice and came upon a store I knew I would have to visit. So last night, I planned on arriving early to the theatre so I could check it out. Introducing Bad Granny's Bazaar, a wonderful collection of "vintage, retro, modern hip, indie arts and crafts, and other curious goods..."


As if the art surrounding the portal wasn't enough, the moment I entered Bad Granny's I was hooked. If you've ever been to our house, you know of our love for retro styling and collectables. Granny's has plenty of both. The hardest part was walking around the store with a heavy camera in my hand. How am I supposed to fondle the merchandise with my hands full? I spoke with the proprietor, Diana Harris and it sounds like her vision is of an ever changing world of fun. I'm looking forward to going back and seeing how it evolves.



If you love this kind of place as much as I, make your way to 1759 NW 16th in Oklahoma City. Granny's is open 11-7, Tuesday thru Saturday. They also feature live music at times in the back room and they have a great collection of local art throughout the store.

Camera info: Handheld 24-70mm lens, 1/40 sec at f/4.5, ISO 100.

6 comments:

Kristie said...

This, the coffee shop ... you have a knack for finding the coolest places!

Jay Spear said...

Indeed. I got to hang out with this guy. I have to see this shop. Nice photos and equally visual narrative.

lofolulu @>~'~'~ said...

I love Bad Granny's! It is such a cool vintage shop. Just last week my eyes spied: Men's Leather fringe Western Jacket; darling ankle length Jessica McClintock dress to dress my daughter up like a frontier girl or Holly Hobbie; authentic silver necklaces from Mexico or possibly Bali; Supah cool 70's style dresses & shoes; Shiny aluminum full set of kitchen canisters, hand knit scarves, domino necklaces, etc..........

The BEST time to visit Bad Granny's is on the 2nd Friday of the month- 2nd Friday Artwalk on the Plaza. The district comes alive with street vendors, DeadCenter Films at PhotoArt Studio, and live music. Last month's event rocked with the "Big Truck Tacos" truck, grafiti art demonstration, fanny pack fashion show, and live tunes. Enjoy! http://www.plazadistrict.org/

Territory Mom said...

Sounds great!! I'll have to check it out.

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

i rent a booth space in here for $25 a month! I sell junk!!

Jim Smith said...

Jen...I may have bought some of your junk...treasure!