Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Day 43: ...for your thoughts

click photo for larger version

In my top 5 favorite movies of all time is the classic Casablanca. The movie has more quotable lines than any other I know of. One of those lines comes when Ilsa says to Rick, "A franc for your thoughts." Rick replies, "In America they'd bring only a penny, and, huh, I guess that's about all they're worth."

It saddens me to think that the thoughts that seem to carry the most weight these days are those that are spoken the loudest and with a spirit that undermines true dialogue. I wonder what would happen if all thought was truly valued, and weighed, and given a chance to really be understood. I think a lesson I learned way too late in life is that being right is over-rated. Opening yourself to opposing viewpoints is much more valueable in the long run. And that's my 2 cents for the day...oops...I guess I still owe you one.

Camera info: 90mm macro lens, lens mounted ring flash, 1/60 sec, f/16.

3 comments:

Kristie said...

Some people have confused being loudest with being right. That's MY two cents. :)

Adjective Queen said...

My mama said, "If you can't say something nice ..." and you know the rest.

Alisa said...

It is interesting- sometimes I think I worry too much about sharing my thoughts, and regret not doing so. And then there are those times that I really wish I would have kept my mouth shut.