Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day 83: Some day...

click photo for larger version

I'm really coming to love the part of town around where my daughter has drama class each week. As she attends class I've been able to explore the area and it is filled with these wonderful excentricities that seem to merge the past and post-modern worlds. I think I love it so much because it's a metaphor for how I see myself as well.

Camera info: Tripod mounted camera with 24-70mm lens at 70mm. 8.0 second exposure (remote shutter release) at f/11. ISO 100.

3 comments:

Kristie said...

Ok, so here's a silly question (I know, you get a lot of those from me!) If you're going for an 8-second exposure, do you push the shutter button and just hope a car drives by during those eight seconds? Or do you wait until you see a car coming? Or do you push it when the car is already there, hence the cool streak lights? Such a neat technique ....

Jim Smith said...

Kristie, with the remote shutter release I can see the cars and time it so they will pass thru while the shutter is open. I took about 6 shots at this locale and the photo I selected was the one that I most liked the light trails. In one of them, a big panel truck had gone by and put a big light right in the middle of the photo.

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

if my father weren't an unapologetic democrat, i'm sure everyone would blame my 'hood for corrupting me. i can't believe i just posted that. but i did. right now. bless you. i can't believe you're not on day 830 you have so much skill and talent! i love this neon. you make my ouch sign photo look anemic!