Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Friday, October 30, 2009

Day 91: At the end of the street

click photo for larger version

Another trip down Carey Place. I'm sure by now the permanent residents of the street have made note of a silver van that has passed by too many times.

It's closer to Halloween now. It's closer to the anniversary of the day that made this place the subject of twilight tale. The air's a bit cooler tonight. A lot of the leaves that were clinging to the trees earlier in the week are now blowing down empty lanes. Children sit and finish homework but think about the weekend to come when churches have ghost-free Fall-fests and next night going door-to-door pillaging piles of perfection into plastic pumpkin pales.

With my window open I rest the camera lens on my lap. Fluttering sounds as a bird lands on a power line above me...more fluttering...louder and louder as more and more birds descend on Carey Place. They must know...I think...of what happened here. It's where they must be tonight. For tomorrow Carrie comes home.

Camera info: 24-70mm lens at 70mm. 1/1000 sec at f/3.2. ISO 100.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my kind of shot! I love this!

-Darren

Jay Spear said...

Love the holiday music! Keep up on the great pics. Always inspiring.

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

man, the gathering of birds on fences and wires at dusk in oklahoma is poetic. you've captured that poetry in this photo jim. you deserve so much recognition for this blog. it's just terrific.

Jim Smith said...

Thank you all, this turned out to be one of my favorites from the blog so far.

Jen...you're too kind.

Tex said...

I love this one! Birds on wires and/or fences always make me wish for my camera--thanks for snapping it for me. :-)