Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Day 90: Hellhound

click photo for larger version

Another trek down Carey Place and I noticed something odd. The street has these wonderful lamps that jutt high above the ground and at night cast a cozy glow the length of three blocks. For Halloween, the lamps have been covered with plastic orange sheaths that make the lamps look like glowing Jack-O-Lanterns. But these pumpkin faces are all upside down. Why upside down???

Today's photo is of another unnatural sight my daughter and I encountered on Carey Place. As we drove down the street we both noticed this dog and how it remained perfectly still. Only its eyes moved as we creeped by. I grabbed my camera as we stopped in front of the house it appeared to guard...a house with shutters boasting cut-outs of axes and porch painted red. I had to take this photo because the dog looked so strange. It was so small and yet it had the features of a much larger animal. I turned and looked in the back seat at Jenna. She slowly turned her head from the dog to me. Without saying a word we agreed it was time to go home. I don't think Jenna will be returning to Carey Place soon.

This is what wikipedia has to say about the hellhound: They are often assigned to guard the entrances to the world of the dead, such as graveyards and Indian burial grounds, or undertake other duties related to the afterlife or the supernatural, such as hunting down lost souls or guarding a supernatural treasure. As legend goes, if one happened to see the hellhound three times directly in the eyes, he or she will die an abrupt and unseen death. Be careful not to look at this photo too many times.

Camera info: 70-200mm lens at 145mm. 1/125 sec at f/3.2. ISO 100.

1 comments:

Kristie said...

You know, I bet whoever owns that dog would really love a copy of the photo. Creepy eyes or no. :)