Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Day 100: I am thankful for...

click photo for larger version

On day 100 of my 365 day project, I'm pleased to present the Spear family. We became acquainted with this family when they moved to Oklahoma and their daughter Savanna and our daughter Jenna were in the first grade together. Since then our daughters have become very close and in the last year that friendship has expanded to include the whole families.

I have tremendous admiration for this family. While I know many families of great faith, Jay & Alisa's faith is embodied in everything they do. I don't think I've ever been around another family who enjoy such simple pleasures and the company of one another as much as they do. I can honestly say that being around them has inspired me to try and be a better husband and father.

If you are a friend of mine on Facebook you have probably noticed my challenge to post something you are thankful for in your status line every day leading up to Thanksgiving. I must confess here that I stole this idea from Alisa and her blog. Starting November 1st, Alisa has been posting a blessing of the day. I love this idea and I think it's a great discipline that when practiced has to improve your outlook on the world. Today I posted that I am thankful for NEW FRIENDS...and that means I am thankful for the Spears.

Camera info: 70-200mm lens at 160mm. 1/250 sec at f/4.5. ISO 100.

6 comments:

Alisa said...

Wow, wow! I waited up just so I could check after midnight to see if you posted. I am so glad I stayed up!
Jay and I keep looking at it big then looking at it little, then going back again. Jay would say goodnight then say, "Oh let me have one more look."
I love seeing our family like this!
I love the light!
Thank you!!
(Your words were very kind, and I feel so grateful that you think of our family that way. We are so thankful that Savanna was put in Jenna's class when we moved here! We still have the "welcome to Oklahoma" present Jenna made for Savanna!)

Kristie said...

That is beautiful!! It's a great photo ... period .... but because I'm a GIRL, I just have to say that in that light, with the wind blowing their hair just so, Alisa and Savanna look like supermodels! (yes, we girls notice things like that.) :)

Territory Mom said...

Happy 100th post. Beautiful photo of a beautiful family.

Jim Smith said...

Territory Mom...thanks you so much. I really appreciate your support.

Hillary said...

Hi Jim, I'm Alisas friend from Utah. I wanted to say that I feel the very same way about their family as you do. They are excellent people and I have truly never meet a better family. She knows I miss her but I miss the whole darn family.

Thanks for sharing their photo.

Alisa said...

This is still my favorite family photo ever.