Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Friday, August 28, 2009

Day 28: Riding into the sunset

click photo for larger version

Today ends 6 days of Elton John song photos. Again, if you are the first to post a comment with the song title and original album it appeared on, you win a free t-shirt. Please remember that if you've already won you are not eligible to win again.

As I began writing this post I realized that day 28, the 28th of August is a special day for me. It's my dad's birthday. If he were still with us, he would be 75 today. Although accidental, there is something very fitting about today's photo as a tribute to my dad. I had intended to do something else for the last day of the Elton photos, but as I'm still not feeling all that great, I went for something simple. But now I'm glad I did.

My dad was a huge fan of the western. He had all of Zane Grey's books and I can't tell you how many hours of John Wayne movies he and I watched together. It was one of the few things that we did together. Dad was never into sports, so we never went to a game together. We had polar opposite tastes on most things not the least of which was Elton John. I still remember him shaking his head when I showed him my new Elton John black-light poster.

But we never missed the opportunity to watch a good western on TV. I think "The Cowboys" was our favorite. We both avoided eye contact at the end when our hero dies. So this one's for dad and for all "the roundups and rustlers and home on the range".

Now that this one's been won I wanted to post this great Taupin lyric:

Roy Rogers

Sometimes you dream, sometimes it seems
There's nothing there at all
You just seem older than yesterday
And you're waiting for tomorrow to call
You draw to the curtain and one thing's for certain
You're cozy in your little room
The carpet's all paid for, God bless the TV
Let's go shoot a hole in the moon

And Roy Rogers is riding tonight
Returning to our silver screens
Comic book characters never grow old
Evergreen heroes whose stories were told
Oh the great sequin cowboy who sings of the plains
Of roundups and rustlers and home on the range
Turn on the T.V., shut out the lights
Roy Rogers is riding tonight

Nine o'clock mornings, five o'clock evenings
I'd liven the pace if I could
Oh I'd rather have ham in my sandwich than cheese
But complaining wouldn't do any good
Lay back in my armchair, close eyes and think clear
I can hear hoofbeats ahead
Roy and Trigger have just hit the hilltop
While the wife and the kids are in bed

And Roy Rogers is riding tonight
Returning to our silver screens
Comic book characters never grow old
Evergreen heroes whose stories were told
Oh the great sequin cowboy who sings of the plains
Of roundups and rustlers and home on the range
Turn on the T.V., shut out the lights
Roy Rogers is riding tonight

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i think i got it, all quiet on the western front. it is from jump up.

Kristie said...

I think Terrie got it right, but just to throw another guess out there, I'll go with Country Comfort off of Tumbleweed Connection.

PS. I'm very sad I didn't win a shirt, not to make you feel guilty or anything. :)

Anonymous said...

Roy Rogers from Yellow Brick Road?

Mary Z

P.S. Fun contest!

Jim Smith said...

Terrie...nope not the one.

Kristie...you won yesterday's.

Mary Z...you got it...congratulations. Email me at jim@premedium.com with your shipping information and I'll get the t-shirt out to you.

Kristie said...

Wait. What? I won yesterday's???? I've got to go re-read yesterdays comments!!!