Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 35: Sartorial Eloquence


click photo for larger version

I had intended today's photo to end the collection of Elton John songs. It was going to be the one that nobody got but me. But as I was in no condition to leave the house last week, I had to wait until last night to take this photo.

This is my friend Jana. I knew from the beginning of this project that I wanted her to model for me and my hope is that she will consent to do so again in this coming year. I knew she would be great for this because she knows how to communicate so well both with words and without.

I met Jana when we were in a play together and later I had the pleasure of working with her for a few years at SNU. But for several years we lost touch and it wasn't until last Summer that we reconnected online. Her friendship has been one of the best things about my whole Facebook experience. I think of her and her husband Phil as being examples of the very best of what generation-x has to offer. I told a mutual friend this morning that when I grow up I want to be like Jana.

Photo setup: This was obviously taken at night and if you're familiar with Bethany, the location is on the sidewalk in front of Clark's Bakery. I setup a flash on a light stand and shot it into a shoot-thru umbrella high and to the left of the subject. I clamped another flash with a red gel on a chair to the right and behind the subject. The camera was set to shutter priority and I used an 85mm f1.2 lens at f1.2, 1/200 sec, ISO 100. Here's a full-length version of the photo.

2 comments:

Kristie said...

Beautiful! I love knowing you shot that right in down town Bethany .... proof positive we have plenty of wonderful places right here to shoot, and don't need a huge metropolitan area to find good locations.

Tex said...

woo-hoo Jana! And I agree with what Jim said.