Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Day 39: It's her day

click photo for larger version

Twelve years ago today my life drastically changed. I became a father. And even though I was 35 years old, I wasn't ready. I thought I knew what to expect. I thought it was just the next stage in life and everything would go on as it had before...only with an extra passenger in the car and a few more groceries to purchase. And it was at this moment in time that I came to realize why the women in my life often look at me like I'm the dumbest creature to ever roam the planet.

It took me about a year to figure out that being a father was the greatest calling of my life. My wife would tell you that I was nothing short of a selfish little boy before I finally woke up to realize that every sacrifice made for my child pays off beyond measure. Every bit of effort is rewarded many times over.

Now I must be honest and admit that my wife bares much more than her share of the parenting task. She is the best mother I know and I will never be able to balance the scale of doing for our daughter. And more than me she understands that choosing child over self is the right and only thing to do.

I love being a dad. And I love the young lady my daughter is becoming. I'm trying hard at this point in this post to pull back from the superlatives that grace the pages of most mommy and daddy blogs. I mean how many of those have you read where they go on and on about how great their children are and how no one has ever had a child as wonderful as theirs. I hate those blogs...I hate them because they make it impossible for me, the father of the best child ever, to state so in my blog. So, I'm not going to do that. I'm simply going to wrap this up and say Happy Birthday dear Jenna...I love you more than you will ever know.

Camera info: Taken outdoors with remote flash shot thru umbrella high and to the subject left. The sun was behind the subject. Flash was used to compensate for backlighting. You can see that when used this way, it can mimic natural light. 85mm lens shot at 1/60 sec at f/4.5, ISO 100. I used a Photoshop filter to create selective focus in my post work.

5 comments:

Kristie said...

That's a great photo of Jenna .... it really does look like natural light, too.

vgsmom said...

Great post darling and a wonderful picture of a gracious and beautiful girl. You're a great dad, and much more patient than her mom.

Adjective Queen said...

Well written. Sometimes I'm afraid my blog leans toward the kind you describe, but you can't help it, ya know. We loves our kiddies!

Jenna is growing into a lovely young woman.

Alisa said...

Beautiful light, beautiful girl.
Good post- Dad!

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

i hate those blogs, too! and, sometimes. i have one!! but, this post was nothing like those blogs. i love how you summed it up.