Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Day 61: Instant Abstracts

click photo for larger version

This morning I visited a site that was posted by @petapixel on Twitter. The site showed off examples of a photographic technique that I had never heard of...camera tossing. The basic idea is to set your camera for a longer exposure and toss the camera in the air as you release the shutter. The key to success is to make sure that when you toss the camera you also catch it before it crashes to the earth.

I shot about 20 of these before leaving for work and this was my favorite. I pointed the camera at a shelf full of Pez dispensers and did my toss. The rich colors really popped when exposed this way. Here's another from pointing at our sliding glass door. Anyway, if you like abstract art and you don't have time to paint...toss that camera.

Camera info: 24-70mm lens at 70mm. 0.8 sec at f/3.5. ISO 100.

4 comments:

Kristie said...

OK, I just hyperventilated a little bit at the thought of throwing my camera up in the air ... clearly I am not relaxed enough with my own equipment just yet. :)

But it makes for a cool photo, that's for sure!

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

this is so pretty. you're so talented, jim. where on earth have you been hiding? maybe i've been hiding.

Jim Smith said...

Thanks Jen. When I took this, I actually thought about Bridgy tossing your camera. Maybe this is what she had in mind. You may have an artist on your hands.

vgsmom said...

I freaked out a little when he mentioned camera tossing. He assured me he was a professional and not a lunatic. Time will tell.

Lori