Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Day 76: Does anybody really know what time it is?

click photo for larger version

When I was 15, I worked at the J.B. Nimbles Ice Cream Parlor here in Oklahoma City. It wasn't my favorite job ever, but it was the first time I ever got an actual paycheck. Now I have always been a technology buff and in 1977 one of the trendiest techno-gadgets was an LED watch. The first time I saw one, I knew I had to have it. So one of my first purchases from my new bus-boy windfall was a watch much like the one in today's photo.

I remember my mom driving me to Target whose Sunday ad had several models featured. I could only afford the cheapest model which was $40 on sale. I think my mom even had to spring for the sales tax. Within the first 2 weeks of ownership, I had worn out a battery by showing everyone within 10 miles of my house this new marvel. Within a month, several of the LED lights had burnt out and I shipped it off to Boston for warranty service. It took about 6 weeks to get it back...6 of the longest weeks of my life.

Several weeks ago, I was in a movie theatre and wanted to know the time. I held my watch at various angles trying to get enough light bouncing off the movie screen to illuminate my dial. At that moment, I thought back to my LED watch and wished I had such convenience. Well when I got home I went on Ebay to see what was available in LED timepiece technology today. And after looking at about 100,000 options I found this baby available for $7.99 with free shipping. And by-the-way, it's made much better than my Texas Instruments model I purchased 32 years ago.

I've discovered that if you're willing to wait a few weeks, you can get some incredible Ebay deals from Hong Kong merchants. I've purchased a/v cables, phone chargers, Ipod cases, camera equipment, LED Christmas lights, and now watches for pennies on the dollar and I've yet to have a bad experience. But this watch is probably my favorite. In fact I like it so much I just purchased more to hand out as gifts. To my surprise, when I returned to the listing the price had gone down to $4.99. So if you need a cool retro watch, you can purchase your own here.

Camera info: 24-70mm lens at 70mm. 1/13 second at f/3.2. ISO 800.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool watch! does show the date with the push of a button?

paul baker said...

Hey Jim - that was my post.