Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Friday, October 16, 2009

Day 77: Our disposable lives

click photo for larger version

By request, today's photo shows the beginning of the demolition of Garey Hall on the campus of Southern Nazarene University. Here is a short video I shot as well. At the rate they proceded today, I expect it to be leveled by Monday. Garey was a women's dormitory that was built in the 1960s. My sister was once a resident there as were many of my friends from college.

A few days ago I featured a photo of the Catholic Cathedral for the Oklahoma City Archdiosese. That building was built in 1921 and is still functioning as it was when it was dedicated. I think of the many structures that inhabit our country and to a much greater extent the world and I can't help but be a little saddened that the world to which I identify is much more disposable. I understand that economics dictate the wisdom of tearing down and rebuilding. But the romantic in me longs for something that remains...that marks the footsteps of those who came before me and for those who will come after.

Camera info: 24-70mm lens at 54mm. 1/1600 sec at f/3.2. ISO 100. Several grunge style filters applied in Photoshop.

5 comments:

Adjective Queen said...

I heard this was happening. What exactly was the problem with the building? And is Hatley in the same shape?

Jim Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim Smith said...

Ms. Queen,
Good question. My guess is that Nancy and Nick won't come to college unless it feels like a vaction resort. It might make a good article for a JenX posting.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristie said...

I am torn by this. On the one hand, I feel sentimental (not about SNU, as I didn't go there) but by, like you said, the history of buildings in general. How wonderful to be able to show your children and grandchildren the very place you lived yourself.

I drove by CSU recently and was stunned by how different it looks than when I lived and attended there.

But, I have to admit, a small part of me is snob enough that I like things to be shiny and new ..... too bad its normally not economical to combine the two.