Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 87: Incredible Roots

click photo for larger version

Today my church celebrated its 100th anniversary. We had a wonderful service that showcased the great talent in our church. New members (including my daughter) were welcomed, dignitaries were acknowledged, a Jubilee offering was taken, and time was spent lauding the great accomplishments of a church that spawned the community of Bethany, Oklahoma. Blown up photos from the past lined all the hallways and letters from Governor Henry and President Obama were on display. It was one of those very special days that will long be remembered.

I think what made the biggest impression on me was the message delivered by our pastor and especially a quote that he used by the great English missionary, C. T. Studd. The quote was, "Some wish to live within the sound of Church or Chapel bell; I want to run a Rescue Shop within a yard of hell."

We live in a time in which the focus of church and everything else is on taking care of ourselves and protecting what we have. Our pastor reminded us that the message of Christ was one of going out to the poor and disadvantaged and making them the priority over ourselves. Our church was founded from an orphanage, a home for unwed mothers and a college preparing young people for service. These are the roots and the principles, the pastor reminded us, that should guide us as we go forward.

Camera info: 70-200mm lens at 70mm. 1/100 sec at f/4.0. ISO 1600.

1 comments:

Kristie said...

Hey, while I always love seeing your photos, I'm especially grateful for the techie details on todays ... Brayden's Circle the State concert will be held here and last year I couldn't get a decent sans-flash photo to save my life. This year, I'll just do whatever you do. :)