Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day 88: Stories that chill

click photo for larger version

I've always been a sucker for a good story of ghost or ghoul but there was a time in college that I was particularly spooked. I had a good friend who gathered up some of us close friends to take us to this neighborhood in Oklahoma City where true evil had transpired. I remember getting more and more nervous as he told us the story and we approached this little street. But in a day before Google maps and GPS, we were never able to find it. Just a few weeks ago I was on one of my photo jaunts and I ran across this eerie sign. In a flash the story came back to life and I was transported back in time to Carey Place.

Stay tuned for the next few days leading up to Halloween as I share in photos the story of this 3-block little street. Then come Saturday you can visit it yourself...if you dare.

Camera info: 70-200mm lens at 200mm. 1/250 sec at f/3.2. ISO 100.

4 comments:

Alisa said...

OHHH- I can't wait!

I enjoy reading and finding about things that are right here in the city I have lived in and grew up in but don't know a thing about!

Susie said...

Awww, the old Carey Place. Went there many, many times as a teen. Always got freaked out going down that street. It wasn't easy to find. GREAT photo!

Kristie said...

Oh. Em. Gee!!! Carey Place used to creep me OUT when I was a teenager .... I hate being scared and I hated going there! Cool pic, though. :)

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

terrific photo!!! i pass carey place every day on my way to take my kiddo to school. i must say, the more familiar something becomes, the more distance created between our original memories of it. i miss that time when it was less familiar to me - the presence has a way of fogging up those precious college memories when we tried to scare ourselves to death.

i now go to garage sales in carey place. jim, there be some strange peeps living on that street.