Going to the Light
A 365-day Photo Journal

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Day 102: Lessons learned

click photo for larger version

Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop. – Ansel Adams

After 100 days I decided to make a few notes of what I've learned in this project thus far:

1. Accountability can foster creativity. The fact that I committed to this project and I know that at least a few people are going to show up each day has forced me to keep going. As a result, I've found that I have this stressful edge that keeps pushing me to try new things.

2. Great photos are much more rare than I thought. The Ansel Adams quote above is very true. Before this project I would look at galleries of photos and think that the photographer only took great photos...every time. I've learned that the less than great photos are like steps along a path that you can't avoid to get to those rare photos that you love.

3. Technically perfect photos can be really boring. Mastering the settings on your camera is important, but just because a shot was perfectly exposed and composited doesn't mean that anyone wants to see it.

4. I'm lazy. While this exercise has forced me to do and to go, I have found that I often opt for the easiest way of obtaining something over the best way of obtaining it. There are a few examples where I have transcended this condition, but for the most part I know that I should be working harder.

Camera info: 24-70mm lens at 70mm. 1/2500 sec at f/3.2. ISO 100.

4 comments:

Kristie said...

#4 made me laugh. :) Maybe you should put some of the "works in progress" photos in occasionally .... Then the rest of us won't assume that YOU get nothing but great shots. :)

I hope, at the very least, that you will be putting these together in a coffee table book at the end.

Mimi Reber said...

Jim,

I for one, as a new friend, look forward everyday to see what you have captured! You even make the city I have lived in so long seem fresh and exciting some days.

Thank you for your Photo of the Day.

Alisa said...

I am so glad that you started this too. It is inspiring to me in different ways. Thanks for staying committed to it!

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

you find the best stuff!